Tart is one of my favorite kind of dessert, especially with fresh fruits. The reasons are very simple, I can’t resist the combination of flaky & buttery crust, creamy custard, and fresh berries on top. All you need to do is prepare a pie crust dough and pastry cream. Choose the kind of fruits you like and decorate them on top, and it will come out like a masterpiece!
For this one, I am using strawberries for Valentine’s Day and decorate with some blueberries because I like the contrast of the colors. I made my own pie crust at home, it is super easy and taste fresh. There are a lot of recipes of how to make pie crust that you can find. Of course you may also get them in the supermarket to save time, and same for the pastry cream. I would love to share my pie crust & custard recipes later.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
1 ready pie crust – homemade or purchased
1 cup pastry cream – homemade or purchased
2 cups strawberries (halved)
3 tbsp strawberry jam
1-2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pie dough for a 9 inch pan on a slightly floured surface.
- Make some holes on the dough with a fork and bake them in the oven at 200C for 5 minutes and then 180C for 15 minutes. Let it cool.
- Smear all the custard or pastry cream on top of the crust. If the custard turns out to be too thick, simply add a tablespoon of orange juice until the desired consistency.
- Decorate with halved strawberries starting from the outer circle then moving towards the center. Add some blueberries too if you like. (totally optional)
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of orange juice into your strawberry jam. Glaze the whole tart with the jam. Done!
I wish you all have a great Valentine’s Day with or without a lover. It’s a day to celebrate love, and do it with a tart!