One of my favorite comfort food like many people is definitely an Italian inspired meatballs with tomato sauce. These meatballs are tender and juicy. It can be a great weekend dinner plan with spaghetti, bread or whatever you like.
- 250 g ground beef
- 250 g ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp basil leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 L tomato puree
- salt & pepper
- In a large bowl, add breadcrumbs and whole milk.
- Add one egg, garlics, parsley leaves, and basil leaves. Mix with a fork
- Add all parmigiano reggiano cheese. Mix well with the same fork.
- Add all the ground meat. Remove the fork. Work all the ingredients with hands.
- Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Try not to over work the meat to keep them tender.
- Shape the meatballs into golf ball size by rolling them and throwing between your palms.
- In a large deep non stick pan, preheat the oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs in batches and don't over crowd the pan.
- Cook both sides of the meatballs for a couple of minutes until they are golden brown and remove from the pan. The meatballs don't need to be fully cooked but browning is very crucial.
- In the same pan using the same oil and drippings, add chopped onions. Cook for 5 minutes until they become soft.
- Pour in red wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all the tomato puree. Stir well with a spatula.
- Gently place the meatballs in the sauce, making sure they are completely covered in the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn’t cook to quickly.
- Remove the lid and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add some fresh basil leaves and serve!
Share this Recipe