Have your pie crust ever come out uncooked, shrunk, bubbled up or crumbled? This video is going give you a step by step tutorial to make a perfect pie crust and 10 useful baking tips to achieve a flaky texture for your apple pie or quiche! Foolproof pie crust recipe that is tender and crispy. The scrumptious butter taste is perfect for a custard filling fruit tart to a savory pie!
9-inch pie crust
- 160 g all-purpose flour cold
- 113 g unsalted butter frozen
- 3-5 tbsp water cold
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt. Mix quickly to combine. *Keep the bowl and flour cold by placing them in the fridge for 20 minutes. (optional)
- Place the grater in the bowl, grate the frozen butter directly in the flour. *Hold the butter with a piece of paper to protect your hand when grating.
- Mix the butter into the flour very quickly until incorporated. *Takes about 20-30 seconds.
- Add the vinegar, give it a whisk.
- Add cold water in the flour on tablespoon at a time. *Too much water could cause shrinkage of the dough.
- When you pinch the dough and the dough stays together, then the dough is ready. Don't add more water.
- Transfer the dough on to a piece of plastic wrap.
- Grab the edge of the plastic wrap and start pressing and bring the dough together. Wrap the dough.
- Shape the dough into a round disk by using a rolling pin and bench scraper.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Roll out the dough
- Lightly flour the working surface, rolling pin and the dough. Roll the dough outwards and rotate while rolling. *Rotate helps the dough to keep in round shape and prevent it from sticking.
- Hold the pie dough with the rolling pin and dust of excess flour with a brush.
- Place the pie dough on the pan. Adjust the pie dough and let it sit properly in the pan. *Try not to pull or stretch the dough.
- Trim the edge of the dough leaving 2-3 cm overhang the pie pan.
- Tuck & seal the excess dough under at the edges.
- Crimp the edge with your fingers.
- Prick the surface of the dough with a fork. *Prevent bubbling while baking.
- Return the pie dough to the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Crinkle the parchment paper to fit well on the dough.
- Add the beans on the parchment. *Make sure the beans reaches every corner.
- Bake at 190C/375F for 30 minutes.
- Let it cool completely before adding fillings.
Share this Recipe